Grant Writer/Advancement Officer
The Democracy Initiative Center and the College and Graduate School of Arts and Sciences seeks a dedicated Grant Writer/Advancement Officer for the newly created Equity Center.
The Democracy Initiative Center for the Redress of Inequity Through Community-Engaged Scholarship (the “Equity Center”) is the University of Virginia’s newest collaborative multi-disciplinary center, established in August 2019. The Equity Center tangibly redresses racial and socioeconomic inequality in university communities by advancing a transformative approach to universities’ fundamental research mission, which will in turn reform institutional values, pedagogy and operations. Specifically, the Equity Center will change the way that University of Virginia (UVA) scholars interact with members of the surrounding community, replacing a model that has been extractive with one that is respectful and collaborative and conducts research that benefits communities. This approach will be a model for institutions of higher education domestically and globally to leverage their anchor positions in local communities to eradicate racial and socioeconomic inequity.
Grant Writer/Advancement Officer position is responsible for working closely with the Equity Center Director to achieve the funding goals for the organization.
- Must be thoroughly familiar with the Equity Center’s values, peers, goals and financial needs.
- Conduct comprehensive ongoing research to identify a full range of potential funding sources including individual donors, philanthropic foundations, and governments.
- Compile information needed for grantors and assist the Equity Center’s Research Practice Partnerships in writing grants to meet the Center’s Advancement goals in accordance with the Strategy and Action Plan.
- Identify, cultivate, solicit, and steward prospects believed to be capable of making gifts.
- Responsible to work on several projects at one time and meet tight deadlines.
- Produce multiple grant/fundraising proposals, requests, applications and reports to fulfill the development plan as outlined by the Faculty Director.
- Collect required data in preparation of grant applications, renewals and grant reports.
- Equity Center’s primary liaison with the University of Virginia’s Office of Advancement.
- Record keeper for all proposals, reports and ensures compliance with all requirements of the Office of Sponsored programs at UVA.
- Identify new opportunities for funding.
- Attend fundraising events and assist with event planning and execution.
- Work collaboratively with members of the Equity Center team, Democracy Initiative team, the UVA College of Arts & Sciences team, colleagues across the UVA Grounds as well as throughout the community.
- In addition to the above job responsibilities, other duties may be assigned.
- Education: Bachelor's degree with at least five years of previous fundraising, grants and contract experience. Significant relevant experience may be considered in lieu of a degree.
- Must have a commitment to serve communities by reducing racial and socioeconomic inequity.
- Ability to effectively articulate and implement organizational vision.
- Ability to cultivate and maintain effective relations with prospects, donors, and volunteers.
- Ability to research, investigate, and utilize resources and information from a variety of sources.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Experience in grant/proposal writing for the creation and formulation of plans, contracts and proposals.
- Excellent organizational skills, time management, and transparent, high integrity leadership skills.
- Ability to work effectively both independently and as a member of a team.
- Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint).
- Preference will be given to candidates with demonstrated success with closing major gifts.
This is an exempt level, benefited position, and is restricted as it is dependent upon performance and funding. Anticipated Hiring Range: $55,000 - $60,000 commensurate with education and experience.
Preference will be given to applications received by November 22, 2019, though the position is open until filled.